Spirit & Traditions
School spirit is our thing. Every Wildcat — past and present — takes heartfelt pride in being part of the University of Arizona family. You’ll feel welcome among your Wildcat peers cheering in the ZonaZoo or simply sporting the colors in a t-shirt. Here are some University of Arizona facts every Wildcat should know:
- The first graduating class in 1895 consisted of two women and one man.
- The original school colors were sage green and silver.
- The “Bear Down” battle cry was created in 1926 by a popular student athlete, John “Button” Salmon.
Wildcats live life to the fullest — inside and outside of the classroom. You’ll find a thriving community of curiosity-seekers, fun-lovers, adventurers, inventors and explorers. Whether it’s taking advantage of our best-in-class facilities or joining an organization, you’ll never be bored here. Get a taste of what campus life is all about:
- 600+ clubs and organizations
- On-campus dining featuring national brand restaurants
- Fitness classes and intramural sports
You’re standing at the forefront of a new phase of your life. This is your chance to create your future. And the University of Arizona is where it all begins. Explore more than 300 majors to decide which degree is right for you. Search undergraduate majors by name, college, personal characteristics and interests — then study with world-class faculty who are leaders in their fields.