You don’t point to a destination, you take them there.
Although the priority deadline to apply to be a Destination Arizona Leader in 2023 has passed, applications are still being accepted through Friday, April 14! If you would still like to be a DAZL this year, go ahead and fill out the form and we'll reach out with an update on your application. The earlier you submit your application, the more likely it is that you will be offered a spot in this year’s cohort
Destination Arizona Leaders (DAZLs) are an integral part of welcoming over 12,000 new students to campus during the Destination Arizona weekend. Destination Arizona, hosted August 18 - 19, 2023, is an extension of a new student’s orientation process and reinforces concepts and presents a shared understanding of what it means to be a Wildcat.
The impact made during this weekend sets the tone for the rest of a student's journey at Arizona. DAZLs assist with the set up, organization, and facilitation of program events. Most importantly, DAZLs create a welcoming environment for new students and their guests.
The Destination Arizona Leader position offers opportunities to:
- Develop leadership and customer service skills including public speaking and mentorship
- Positively impact new students and guests
- Form close relationships with professionals across campus
- Create lifelong friendships with fellow DAZLs
- Exclusive Destination Arizona / DAZL merch
- Free snacks, drinks, and food during trainings and Destination Arizona
- 100 % Engagement Designation on transcripts
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Ernesto Cabrera at email@example.com
Destination Arizona Leaders will:
- Support Orientation & New Student Services staff and campus partners in the set-up, logistics, facilitation, and take-down of events.
- Actively participate in all mandatory trainings (in-person & virtual), programs, and events.
- Help students navigate campus by answering questions, giving directions, suggesting resources and events, and providing a warm welcome to the Wildcat community.
- Draw from personal experiences to answer questions with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Work early mornings and late evenings in the summer heat and lift, carry, and sort materials.
You should apply to be a Destination Arizona Leader if:
- You are a degree-seeking undergraduate student.
- You maintain good academic and conduct standing.
- You are a motivated individual who can take initiative, follow instructions, and be flexible and punctual.
- You can work in a team environment where differences are valued, encouraged, and supported.
- You enjoy helping other people.
- You want to create a positive and welcoming environment at Arizona.
- You are comfortable speaking with large groups of people.
- You want to gain or strengthen your leadership and communication skills.
- You can commit to work in-person on Main Campus from July 17 - August 19, 2023
Destination Arizona Leaders need to be available for all the listed dates below. Few exceptions will be made for absences given the importance of this role to the Wildcat community.
- Spring 2023
- Friday, May 12: Destination Arizona Leader Mixer
- Summer 2023
- Monday, May 15 - Friday, May 19: Campus Resource Training
- Monday, July 17 - Friday, July 28: Destination Arizona Leader Training
- Fall 2023
- Wednesday, August 16: Destination Arizona Final Preparation
- Thursday, August 17: Destination Arizona Run-Through and Set-up
- Friday, August 18 - Saturday, August 19: DESTINATION ARIZONA!
All trainings and dates listed above with the exception of Destination Arizona (8/18-8/19) will happen between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM. You will be expected to work outside of 8 AM to 5 PM business hours during the Destination Arizona program. Additional hours to assist with program preparation and set-up will be available for students from May - August, however not mandatory.